Thursday, November 12, 2009

Brody & Ethel

We planned to post some photos from yesterday's Veteran's Day Observance but they are still in the camera. Jan better get on the catnip ball or she's going to be embarrassed by the performance review we're planning to post before the end of the month.

Instead, we're going to share one of those stories that help tissue sales. A story of love.and friendship that will put a smile on your face and a tear in your eye. It's about 92-year old Ethel and Brody, a 12-year old black Lab.

From the Portland Press Herald
A community's caring tempers painful loss of a companion
by Bill Nemitz.

Every morning at exactly 10 o'clock, Brody would take up his position by the front door to wait for the Meals on Wheels volunteers – Steve on Monday, David on Tuesday, Dot on Wednesday, Bud on Thursday and Ray on Friday. Upon hearing a car door close outside, he'd hop up on the nearby window sill, tail wagging, for a look-see.
"The minute they came to the door, he was the welcoming committee," Ethel said.
He had good reason. First, Dot Cleveland started bringing a doggy biscuit on Wednesdays. Then Ray Gross, a dog lover if ever there was one, started showing up with soup bones on Fridays. Before long, all five volunteers were bringing treats for Brody along with meals for Ethel.
You can read the rest of the story here.

13 comments:

  1. What a touching story. Our eyes are leaking. ~S,S,C & F

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still around and doing just fine. Sorry we have not been by.
    My rescue kitty is doing really good now and growing. He loves to play with Sharkie and sleep on me, I guess because he is thankful he has a forever home now.
    Deetzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go get some tissue. Ethel wasn't crazy. I had my Rufus(Rott./Shephard mix- gone 5 yrs. now) riding in my back seat for a few days till I got Harley(my black rag doll cat). I had mourned him and my Tabatha(tortie cat-been almost 2 yrs.)for 3 days. I must have gone through 2 boxes of tissue each time. Thank you for sharing a lovely story of Brody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing that story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now you have me crying in my coffee ...

    I have my old dog by me.

    Dang, why do they have to go ...

    And, the barking the next meowning ... I believe that. I could hear my cat mewing for about a month after she past. My D heard it too. And, then my d talked to me about how she hadn't heard her in a while. I told her she knew we were ok now ...

    Love isn't it grand ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story.. Thanks for sharing.. HUgs GJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful story - thanks for letting us read about it.

    Woos, the OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep mom's eyes are leaky gotta get her a tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so wonderful!
    Love,
    Ammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should all be that lukhky to have that much love thrown our way -

    Tank woo fur sharing!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by for a visit. We love to hear from you.